Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The lighthouse bug!

Somehow, I've caught the lighthouse bug! Since moving to the east coast I've had a lot of chances to visit different lighthouses - mostly on Cape Cod and others along the shoreline in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Whenever I visit a lighthouse I think about what life in a lighthouse for the keepers must have been like a few hundred years ago - undoubtedly lonely ... on most days - I'd presume. Looking out into an empty, dangerous sea... Standing on the brink of humanity on one side and a vast expanse of nothingness on the other...

But think about what a lighthouse would have meant to somebody lost at sea, looking for land... A tiny flicker of light signaling rescue and life. And yet there are innumerable stories of devastation, when ships misjudged the rocks and the location of the lighthouse and directly slammed into them, throwing sailors into ice cold water. So maybe my conjecture is more romanticized than real. But that still does not preclude me from finding these beautiful beasts really really fascinating!

Have you ever seen/visited a lighthouse? I do not know why they are almost always white in color! Makes a good contrast with the sea, the land and a beautiful blue sky when you are taking a picture. That being the purpose of this blog, I want to share a few pictures I've taken this summer. I have another post on lighthouses, so I won't include the same ones again...

Woods End Light in Provincetown on Cape Cod

Portsmouth Harbor Light in New Hampshire

World view through the Portsmouth Light window

Stairs leading up to the top of the Highland Light (inside the lighthouse) on Cape Cod, Massachusetts

In case you are interested in finding out a little bit more about different lighthouses on the New England coastline, please see this website. It is maintained by Jeremy D'Entremont and has lots of historical information, pictures and conservation information. I incidentally met Mr. D'Entremont while visiting the Portsmouth Harbor light and he gave us his visiting card, but I didn't even look at it until after we got home! I admire all the lighthouse pictures he has taken for his website and did not even know I was talking to him!

While I was writing this post, I realized that I knew nothing about lighthouses back home! Never heard of any... India has a long coastline and boasted a strong trade and commerce destination through ages. So there have to be at least some lighthouses around. A quick google search revealed a treasure! Here's a link hosted on the University of North Carolina server by Dr. Russ Rowlett who is a mathematics professor. This website has tons of information about lighthouses in many different countries! If you have a little bit of time, click on a few links - the variety of the structures in different parts of the world is impressive, to say the least... I stand corrected - white seems to be the way for New England lighthouses, but others around the world are much more colorful! Needless to say, I'll be spending some time on this website in the next few days... wonder if anybody is actually taking care of these national treasures back home...

4 comments:

test said...

Awesome post and very informative links too!
I know a lady who is also obsessed with lighthouses. You should see her home, it is filled with everything lighthouse, even kitchen towels!

caite said...

Nice pics..
I have not been to Cape Cod in a long time but I have developed an interest in lighthouses myself and have started some posts about the ones in NJ on my blog.
One thing I love about lighthouses..they are often in the most beautiful places!

Sampada Marathe said...

True indeed! But is there a chance that the lighthouse makes the places more beautiful? Otherwise it would just be another piece of a shoreline or a lone island in the middle of the sea! I have thought about this some, but haven't been able to figure out exactly what I like about them... Another thing is - I've only seen a few lighthouses and all of them on sunny & nice days! After seeing the video on your blog Caite, I wouldn't want to be there when waves come crashing - no matter how in love with the lighthouse I am :-)

Jeremy D'Entremont said...

Thanks for the nice mention and link, and I'm happy to hear you've caught the lighthouse bug!