Thursday, October 16, 2008

Of ghosts and goblins and ... pumpkins? The story of Halloween!

Of ghosts and goblins and... pumpkins? For the past few years, I've been intrigued by Halloween - of how it is represented in pop culture and what it represents...

For me, the most beautiful part of Halloween is the Fall season! Here are some recent pictures we took on our drive to see some Fall colors. We drove to the Lake Sunapee region of New Hampshire. Online reports indicated that the Fall color seasons were at their peak and so I was really excited. I've seen Fall colors each year for the past 5 years - Pennsylvania is beautiful that way! But the stories I've heard about the New England Fall colors were inviting... Although most of the drive was done under cloud cover, we did get some nice shots of the colors!Okay, so coming back to Halloween... My first memory of Halloween is of pumpkin carving - the student center (HUB) at Penn State holds lots of different activities for students during Halloween - pumpkin carving being one of them. I wish I had some pictures to share - I remember carving out my pumpkin in some geometrical shapes... couldn't get myself to carve it into a jack'o... One of my friends grew up around upstate New York and the regular thing to do around Halloween time for him was pumpkin carving, apple cider, horror movies and Charlie Brown! The Great Pumpkin and Charlie Brown... When I told him I had no idea what this was, he made sure I watched the cartoon with him one Halloween :-) Another year for Halloween he arranged a nice "horror" movie shindig for us and some great hot cider to go along with it! No Charlie Brown and Halloween's craziness for me this time, I'll be away during Halloween this year.

Anyway, while walking down to the T station two days ago I took a few pictures of some typical Halloween decorations around some houses. More pictures of Fall & other Halloween craziness here.

1 comment:

test said...

i love the photos! (As usual)
and FYI: heard at a meet last week, that it actually started as a religious festival as "All Hallows Eve" (the evening before all saints day) and that became halloween eventually..