Saturday, August 2, 2008

Depth of field

I may have said this before - taking pictures is helping me learn about photography basics more than sitting down with a book! Here's why... I found my crayons while unpacking this morning & decided to indulge in some artsy coloring. It doesn't take much now-a-days for me to decide to take pictures. These pictures were taken on auto mode - I use a canon A530 powershot to take pictures and didn't see the manual aperture adjustment (am I missing something?) on it.

So here's some color in my life! If you will, pay attention to the subject in focus and how many parts of the picture are out of focus due to the low depth of field...
And here's the art... a top view.
Then I decided to try another angle - a very low one. Here the camera has decided to put everything but the middle portion of the picture out of focus. If you look at the next picture, the bottom part is out of focus while the rest of it is in focus.A low depth of field throws most of the stuff, other than what it thinks is your main subject, out of focus - a great way to do portrait/ people photography. But if one wants everything in the picture in focus, a high depth of field would be necessary.

This one would have turned out to be a fine photo if not for the bottom out of focus part. Oh well...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you mean your camera does not have a manual aperture mode or you just haven't used it? The aperture is entirely what dictates the dof. The wider open the lens is (smaller number) the smaller the dof is, like in these pics. The more closed it is (bigger number), the larger the dof gets. I always remember it like the lens is squinting to see far away (more closed, larger dof), hehe.

But you probably totally knew that already! Don't mean to step on any toes :-D

Anonymous said...

Oops, meant to say "almost entirely," other stuff matters too, like focal length. But that's how you control it I meant. Ok, that's all now!